February 2, 2011

Dress for a Good Cause

Hey Ladies!!!!

Do you have any prom dresses, bridesmaid dresses, or other formal wear that you know you are never going to wear again? Care to do a little early "spring cleaning" and do the world some good at the same time while helping those in need? Well listen up and get out some bags and boxes!!!

A friend of mine has started a fundraiser and it is called “Dress for a Good Cause.” Established in 2009, this fundraiser raises money by selling formal wear to young girls who may not be able to afford expensive formal wear and rather be able to wear the dresses that you provide such as a dress for a girl for prom this year, or a graduation dress this June. These items are sold at rock bottom prices to those who need it and the money raised by the fundraiser pays for projects at slavery survivor rehab centers around the world.


So what is needed and what and how can you contribute, you ask?

What is needed are gently worn, used dresses and jewelry. Any size, any color, and any style! Dresses can be from prom, graduation, weddings etc. On March 26, 2011 at the Westtown School in West Chester the fundraiser of selling these dresses and items will begin. Not only will this money help young girls in one part of the world, but you are doing doubly good by helping those in another part of the world as well. The fundraiser this year currently supports two rehab centers in India, but there are many rehab centers that need help worldwide including Haiti, Thailand, Ghana, and even right here in the United States. The more money that is raised, the more places can be helped. The money raised for these rehabs and shelters provides important materials such as cooking utensils, sewing machines, and solar lamps and panels. Previous events raised enough money for a motorbike and SUV for a boys’ rehab center and a small herd of cattle and a bio-gas oven for a women’s shelter in India. This year’s goal is a pavilion-type outdoor shelter at the center for survivors of human trafficking and sex slavery in India. Let’s make that happen!





You are also keeping dresses out of landfills and keep them from being thrown away. You will be helping girls in need here at home and also provide necessities in a safe haven in a place for girls who have been through so much in their young lives. You will be doing so much just by donating a few items that you know is just wasting space in your closet or collecting dust in your attic. You know you are never going to wear that dress again and it is going to help someone like these girls.




READ: The creator of this fundraiser also has a blog, Author for Change. Her name is Carol. And you may contact her if you have any questions about donating any items for the fundraiser. You may also ask me any questions and hand me your donations and I will gladly pass them onto Carol.

Thank you so much for your attention and please consider helping out in this great cause. (Start looking in that closet! =D)

Lot and lots of love,
Katie
xoxoxoxo

2 comments:

  1. I officially love this blog! You know I always enjoy reading what you have to say and I know right off the bat I still have my prom dress that..what am I gonna need that for? I want to help and donate in any way I can! I know I have my senior prom dress not sure about junior prom but I'll look to see what I have. Where or how do I donate? This is a really great cause and it's so nice to see that there are good people in this world that wanna help those less fortunate.

    PS did you mean to say March 26, 2011? lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so so glad that you are such a loyal reader Jess to my blog! It means a lot to me. It also means a lot to me that you want to help out so much! However, since you do live a considerable distance away from where the event is held, I thinking if you wanted to donate any items, you might have to ship them? If you are still interested in doing that, I will get you some information on doing that but other than that, just get the word out, tell you friends, and gather their dresses and things! Again, u rock Jess!

    HaHaHaHa! Keep forgetting it is the new year! Thanks for catching that! Changed it! =D

    ReplyDelete